Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2012

The Bikini Onesie

So, have you seen the "Bikini Onesie" yet that everyone is talking about?


I have to tell you that there is no way I would buy this and put this on my infant daughter. Not because it is so terribly scandalous, in fact there is a sort of a creative ironic humor to it, if you could call it that... But because for me it makes a statement about our society and how we have let the virtue of modesty fall by the wayside. I don't think there is anything "cute" about over-sexualizing our children or trying to make them look older before their time. It's the same reason I won't let my 6 year old wear too-short skirts and don't buy her Barbie dolls. The disturbing aspect about this piece of clothing is that it shows an attractive, developed and revealing sketch of a mature female body. When a man sees that, what is the first thing that he is going to automatically think on a subconscious level? Probably something sexual. And then they are going to take in the big picture and see that it is on a baby... and well, that is one seriously conflicting message.

I asked my husband to take a look at the computer screen from across the room and said, "Can I buy this for our daughter?"... He said, "What? They make bikinis for babies???" Upon his first initial glance he thought the design was an actual photo. I told him to look again more closely. He said, "That's kind of funny..." (but he wasn't laughing.)  I don't think he really knew what to say.

The bottom line is this... as mothers we need to instill a sense of respect and modesty in our young daughters. There is way too much societal pressure for teenage girls to show off their bodies and gain acceptance by dressing skimpy. I certainly felt it when I was growing up. I want to shield my children from this mentality rather than encourage it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always a pleasure to hear what you've got to say!